Saturday, October 15, 2016

Birds, Bees, Barkflies, Beetles and other Bugs...

Despite the fact that this 'Blogger' blogging platform has been doing its level best over the past few days to frustrate me to the point of pulling out my remaining hair and giving up; I am pleased to say that I have instigated a few changes to the layout of the blog and I am ready to produce update number 188. I apologise for the fact that I have been unable to get my 'Magnet Articles' page to show correctly, I am working on it. Shall we start with this:

I'd reached the age of fourteen and I hadn't started courting,
And my mum was getting worried about me.
She said, "Dad, it's time you told him all about the birds and bees,"
He said, "The birds and bees," and sat me on his knee.

You won't be old enough to remember this, but it's a monologue from the days before it was politically incorrect to like Benny Hill. It's a lead-in to this first little section which does indeed feature the birds and bees. 


There are 4 requests for help attached to these sounds files. The photo isn't relevant by the way, just that the only way I could load a sound file was if I included a picture.I am not sure I have cracked the best way of adding sound files to my blog and so these may not play on your phone/tablet etc.


                    

  





Here's where you can help me: I would be the first to admit that I am not at all experienced with birds! I could be described as something of a bird-virgin and so I was kinda hoping that you might be able to educate me. I would just love to know which species these songs belong to. For all I know, they could be the same species, if not the same bird. 
I would be eternally grateful for any information you might be able to share using the comment option at the bottom of this post. 

What about the bees though? In light of the current dire predictions regarding these insects, I wanted to show that, in my garden, the bumblebees at least were doing well this year...


They seemed to love the addition of the Eupatorium plant. This one is 'Eupatorium purpuream', or 'Sweet Joe-Pye Weed'. According to Wikipedia (and who could doubt Wiki?) it is native to Central North America. It loves my garden though and the bees love it. 


It's about now that I check whether you have been taking everything in thus far. You have? Oh goody. It didn't escape your notice then that I said there were four things you could help me with regarding the birds, and yet, I only mentioned three? Number 4 is the picture that shows on each of the sound clips. It's a little bird that I photographed back in the summer at Great Dixter in Sussex. I couldn't get close enough for a really detailed photo, but once again, I have no clue to its identity. Do you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here's an interesting little beetle. I think this could be 'Ptilinus pectinicornis', the Fan-bearing Wood-borer. This is the description that I found:
3.5-5.5mm. Distinctive due to the highly developed antennae; very strongly pectinate in the male and very broadly serrate in the female. Head deflexed, eyes much larger in male. Pronotum highly arched. Widely distributed across southern England and the midlands to south Yorkshire but lacking records from Cornwall, East Anglia and most of Wales.


On one particular day in August: the 19th in fact, I saw more green shieldbugs and their nymphs than on any day before, or since...

There were plenty more but I have spared you those. 


Wasp faces. They are all different you know. They can recognise one another by their face markings. I know that is true of paper wasps at least. I am fairly sure that the markings on this one make it a common wasp 'Vespula vulgaris'. 




Whereas, this one I have not got an ID for yet, unless you...? I wonder if this is a paper wasp. If so, then I think they catch these insects not to eat themselves, but to feed to their larvae...

UPDATE: Mellinus arvensis (A Field digger-wasp) Thanks to Maria J for ID.


The next photograph may not win any competitions, it lacks detail for a start. But, I do like the fact that it is thought provoking. It's a stand off, but just who is being threatened here. Is the spider just standing tall and saying 'don't bother me little ant'. Or does the ant think it may be able to overcome the spider?




A couple of flies next. How amazing that they are both flies and yet they bear little resemblance to each other. That's nature, so diverse it never fails to impress me...

               UPDATE:  Little Snipe Fly - Chrysopilus asiliformis. Thanks to Maria J for ID.


I don't know what this one is, perhaps a little soldier fly? What I do know is that it was yet another of the insects I have rescued from the bird-bath this year.

You have to admit that this scorpion fly is something that most people would not even realise is something that belongs in the Diptera order...



If I make this entry too much longer you will need to spend longer scrolling back to the top, than you have reading it, and so I guess I will cut and run. Not before I have added one last pairing though. A couple of barkflies...





I appreciate that the lower photograph appears to show a giant of a barkfly, but they are both actually around 2-3mm. The barkfly (or barklouse) is really under-recorded and we are told that there are still many more species to be discovered, even here in the UK. 



I have added a new, easy to use comment box right at the bottom of this page. I hope it helps to make it easier to get involved and tell me what you think. It seems that the original comment box only appears when you view this update on its own page and not from the home page. 




10 comments:

A said...

Nice shots again. The spider and little ant is my favourite here.

No issues with loading the post or commenting this time. and, I am able to write this using blogger's own comment box.

JJ said...

Thanks. Yes, I would probably agree about the spider/ant shot ;-)
Thanks very much for alerting me to the issues with my blog. You really helped because I wasn't sure of the extent of the problem as I only ever view on this PC, or my phone. I don't know what is happening with 'Blogger' right now but there do seem to be problems, as other contacts have also had them. Anyhow, hopefully, for now at least mine, with your help have been resolved.

Regards,

JJ.

Rockwolf said...

Loving the greens! :-)
Another excellent update with some great footage and photos.
Have listened to all 3 clips, and I think it sounds like a Song thrush (more so in the 3rd clip). Does sound a little odd in the first 2 clips though to perhaps they're not all the same... hopefully someone with better bird knowledge will say for sure!

The bird in the photos for the clips is a Spotted flycatcher. Very nice!! :-)

The wasp I think is a Field digger wasp, see here: http://www.bwars.com/content/beginners-bees-wasps-mellinus-arvensis

The rescued fly I think is a 'Little snipe fly': http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/little-snipe-fly
Love the Palomena adults and nymphs. Good to know they're doing ok there! Love the wasp portrait too!

JJ said...

Hi Maria,
Thanks so much for your continuing visits, lovely comments and help with ID's. Oh so possibly all Song thrush songs then? Wow! Had no idea, they were not all the same location, or even the same day.

A Spotted flycatcher! Amazing. Damn, now I wish I had been able to get close for some more photos. Thanks for the ID anyhow. Perhaps I should look out for one next year when they return.

About the wasp: I have studied your link and yes, that looks spot on to me.Habitat would be right too. Thanks again. A solitary wasp then but it is catching prey to feed to larvae. I will add an ID to the photo in a moment.

And a Snipe fly. I had no clue that these could be so small. I have only encountered the larger ones, but again, I am sure you are right.

I thought you might enjoy the Palomena photos ;-)

Once again you have been a great help. Many thanks.

JJ.

Rockwolf said...

Will have a think about the bird song. Not entirely convinced the first 2 clips are Song thrush... but, it's the one that first comes to mind when considering 'repetitiveness'! Song thrushes always repeat their 'phrases' when singing.

Sorry about the links not being live. So used to them automatically becoming clickable that I didn't give them a second thought!

JJ said...

I will do some digging too Maria, now that you have pointed me in this direction. No problem about the links, it was easy enough to cut and paste.

Amanda Peters said...

Lovely post and nice to listen to the bird song, better at recognising a few bird songs in the field. If you have a idea what bird it is you can listen to bird song on the RSPB site
Amanda xx

JJ said...

Thanks Amanda. Yes, already tried that but still not sure there are any matches ;-)

Millymollymandy said...

Hello JJ, just catching up a bit with some fellow bloggers. I like the changes to the blog layout. I am a bit hopeless with birdsong; I put it down to the fact that I do not have an ear for music, regional accents or languages. Nos. 1 and 2 have a repetitiveness which is reminiscent of a Song Thrush but it's not quite right. Maybe Mistle Thrush? You can hear it here http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/m/mistlethrush/index.aspx

I'll probably get put in the spam box now for posting that link! The third clip sounds really familiar yet I don't know what it is!!! Maybe that's a Song Thrush.

As usual, love all the insect photos and bits and bobs. :-)

JJ said...

Hi Mandy,

Really good to hear from you. I have listened to your link and....STILL not sure! ;-) You may be on to something, as Thrush seems to be the general opinion. Thank-you for your feedback on the new layout too-really appreciate that.

Hope you are well Mandy,

Regards

JJ.